February is the shortest month of the year, nevertheless is packed with important dates and events. Pancake Day, Valentine's Day, Chinese New Year, schools half term and more. Some ideas on what to do this month in London and beyond.
Chinese New Year
Celebrate the Year of the Dog in London, with the biggest Chinese New Year celebrations outside Asia.
- Chinese New Year parade, 10am with a dragon and lion dance in Charing Cross Road, before snaking its way through Chinatown.
- traditional Chinese dance and music shows from 12pm at Trafalgar Square
- two food zones: street food in Trafalgar Square, traditional Chinese New Year menu and special festive treats in Chinatown restaurants.
- Kids activities, including calligraphy, Chinese music, dressing up in traditional outfits in Leicester Square.
- martial art performances, including tai chi chuan and traditional flag display, in the Shaftesbury Avenue martial arts and culture zone.
- pyrotechnic display which lights up Trafalgar Square to mark the end of the festivities.
Sadler's Wells Sampled
Friday 2nd and Saturday 3rd February
This annual celebration of dance brings together an eclectic mix of extracts from some of the most exciting dance works around, performed by the world’s best ballet dancers, breakers, flamenco stars and contemporary mavericks, at a specially reduced price.
Imagine Children's Festival
7th - 18th February
12 days of family fun for 0-12 year olds. Be tickled by Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes, wriggle along to dance-theatre Tidy Up and join radio personalities and debut authors, Greg James and Chris Smith, for an action-packed Kid Normal event. Firm favourites such as Bedtime Stories and Fun DMC also return, along with plenty of new free activities.
10th February to 11th March
A winter escape in the tropical paradise of the Princess of Wales Conservatory. Immerse yourself in a celebration of Thailand’s vibrant colours, culture, and magnificent plant life. Enjoy the colourful floral displays, including a bright Vanda tunnel and arches decorated with orchids. Choose an evening visit for exclusive experiences including Thai dance performances, massage and spa treatments, cocktails and insect-tasting.
Craft Beer Rising
Old Truman Brewery
22nd- 24th February
A festival dedicated to the increasing interest and innovation in the beer industry brings together over 175 UK and international brewers, some of London's finest street food and music to dance to.
Table Tennis Team World Cup
The Copper Box Arena
22nd to 25th February
See the world's best table tennis teams compete to become the 2018 Team World Cup champions.
Enjoy four days of thrilling, fast-paced action that’s guaranteed to get you off your seat.
Russian Ballet Icons Gala 2018
A one-night-only event, a multimedia experience performed by the dancers of the Bolshoi, Mariinsky, Royal Ballet, English National Ballet, ballets of the Grand Opera Paris, Berlin Staatsoper, New York City Ballet and the Ballet of Monte Carlo. Dancers from these esteemed companies will perform excerpts from the Russian classical repertoire and masterpieces by contemporary choreographers influenced by the Russian ballet.
Ferrari: Under the Skin
until 15th April